Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Baton Rouge Rocks!
08/27/14 at 18:09:05
News:

Home Help Search Event Calendar Login
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Clifford Jam on YouTube (Read 6307 times)
poprockdude
Ex Member

Re: Clifford Jam on YouTube
Reply #75 - 04/14/09 at 14:55:12

Quote from mandoplan on 04/14/09 at 14:53:30:
You're asking the wrong questions.

You should be asking, "WHY do I tend to lash out at those around me, who while not perfect, have tried to help me"

and then work on your music theory.

No, I am NOT asking the wrong question.

I wanted to know about where Lydian, Phrygian, and Dorian are used in modern pop music.

IP Logged
mandoplan
Adolescent

Circumvent the
Machine

Reply #76 - 04/14/09 at 14:55:25

Quote from poprockdude on 04/14/09 at 14:53:53:
Why does everybody on here expect me to do the work, when I DON'T know of any?

Everyone on here seems to give out the cheapest answer to any question I might have, or gives the cheapest response to my ad.

Like when CliffordJam was started, what happened? There wasn't ANY room for ACTUAL music theory discussion, or talking about the piece, the majority of the people in that group were middle aged, and the studio was cramped. I was hoping to jam with college guys in the comfort of a more spacious bandroom.

You are unbelievable

How would I "Sandra" somebody?

WWW   IP Logged
poprockdude
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 04/14/09 at 14:55:51

So, stop being a jerk, and please, answer the question, OK?

IP Logged
poprockdude
Ex Member

Reply #78 - 04/14/09 at 14:57:20

Quote from mandoplan on 04/14/09 at 14:55:25:
Quote from poprockdude on 04/14/09 at 14:53:53:
Why does everybody on here expect me to do the work, when I DON'T know of any?

Everyone on here seems to give out the cheapest answer to any question I might have, or gives the cheapest response to my ad.

Like when CliffordJam was started, what happened? There wasn't ANY room for ACTUAL music theory discussion, or talking about the piece, the majority of the people in that group were middle aged, and the studio was cramped. I was hoping to jam with college guys in the comfort of a more spacious bandroom.

You are unbelievable

Why? What is so wrong with wanting to spend more time with guys my age? Or to want to be comfortable? I'd rather be comfortable than in a cramped environment.

IP Logged
Bud
Senior Citizen

Reply #79 - 04/14/09 at 14:58:16

Where did you ever get the idea I was more knowledgable than you in music theory?

IP Logged
poprockdude
Ex Member

Reply #80 - 04/14/09 at 14:59:13

Again, let's just go back to the question I had about modes, OK? Please, answer that question. I wanted to learn something about music theory. OK?

I should have stated that I already knew about pop songs that use Myxolydian, and saved BR Music Fan some time to type up that example about Bill Withers.

IP Logged
poprockdude
Ex Member

Reply #81 - 04/14/09 at 15:00:21

Quote from BR Music Fan on 04/14/09 at 14:58:16:
Where did you ever get the idea I was more knowledgable than you in music theory?

Just a hunch. You talked like you knew what you were talking about.

IP Logged
poprockdude
Ex Member

Reply #82 - 04/14/09 at 15:04:23

See? Guys who don't know quite as much as I do about music theory are not the kind of guys I need for my band.

I'm looking for guys who are more like Cam Pyle. Those who actually know what they are talking about, and where we can get together and not only jam to some pop-rock songs, but ALSO talk about music theory and learn some stuff, like what I was hoping we could get into with modes, but it didn't since the only song you knew of was a song in Myxolydian, then it couldn't go any farther after I mentioned some examples.

IP Logged
Bud
Senior Citizen

Reply #83 - 04/14/09 at 15:04:44

I'm learning something and was looking for examples in songs I already know. BTW, back to dominat 7th chords. They are common subsitutions in all modes for the 5 chord. There is no workable theory behind it, but it works. I can't give you any examples of usage of different modes at this point in time

IP Logged
poprockdude
Ex Member

Reply #84 - 04/14/09 at 15:07:22

Quote from BR Music Fan on 04/14/09 at 15:04:44:
I'm learning something and was looking for examples in songs I already know. BTW, back to dominat 7th chords. They are common subsitutions in all modes for the 5 chord. There is no workable theory behind it, but it works. I can't give you any examples of usage of different modes at this point in time  

Well, then never mind, dude. I thought you were more knowledgeable and actually taught music theory or something. Is there ANYBODY here who is actually like Cam Pyle who can answer that question?

IP Logged
poprockdude
Ex Member

Reply #85 - 04/14/09 at 15:11:20

Quote from BR Music Fan on 04/14/09 at 15:04:44:

And as I said, if you REALLY think about it, the one chord in C Myxolydian is of course, C-E-G-Bb. That's a different combination than the normal C-E-G-B found in C major.

I wasn't talking about substitutions in any mode or anything. I was pointing out that Myxolydian was simply a worthless example because I already knew how that one was used. Cam Pyle and I already went over that one.

As I said, I shouldv'e told you that before you had a chance to answer.

IP Logged
poprockdude
Ex Member

Reply #86 - 04/14/09 at 15:12:24

Sorry I even brought it up.

IP Logged
poprockdude
Ex Member

Reply #87 - 04/14/09 at 15:13:27

What a waste of time.

If I had just gotten some answers about Lydian, Dorian and Phrygian, I might actually be checking it out now, and doing more research on that.

IP Logged
rubylexicon
Senior Citizen

i am not sorry when
silence becomes
singing

Reply #88 - 04/14/09 at 15:21:02

Quote from poprockdude on 04/14/09 at 15:13:27:
What a waste of time.

If I had just gotten some answers about Lydian, Dorian and Phrygian, I might actually be checking it out now, and doing more research on that.

Examples of Songs in Lydian Mode:

* Most Songs from The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

* The theme from The Simpsons is sometimes cited as being in the Lydian mode, and this is certainly true for the first few bars. However, later passages in the theme include a minor 7th, along with other notes characteristic of the Lydian mode, and that thus places those passages in the Lydian dominant scale, which is sometimes thought wrongly to be another mode, or related to the modal system.

* "Eden" by Hooverphonic All the song is in C Lydian.

* The "To Kill a Mockingbird" score by Elmer Bernstein features the Lydian mode extensively to evoke feelings of childlike wonder.

* "Freewill" by Rush. A claim could be made that the verse is in F Lydian, though strong presence of C, E and G in the verse melody (together with the firm establishment of C major in the chorus) would indicate that the verse is just an extended IV chord in C major.

* "Man on the Moon" by R.E.M. The verses to the song are in C Lydian; the prechorus switches to G major.

* "The Electric Co." by U2 features parts of F♮ Lydian.

* "Evil Will Prevail" by The Flaming Lips is in D Lydian

* "Blue Jay Way" by The Beatles more specifically by George Harrison on Magical Mystery Tour

* "Dancing Days" by Led Zeppelin. The notable guitar intro is in the Lydian Mode. The rest of the song uses a variety of modes and chromaticism.

* "Flying in a Blue Dream" by Joe Satriani is almost exclusively in the Lydian mode, as is "The Meaning of Love and "Clouds Race Across The Sky". Much of his other work includes Lydian as well.

* "K'm-pee-du-wee" and "The Riddle" by Steve Vai; Lydian Augmented is also used in the latter piece. "Feathers" and "Answers" are some other songs by Vai in the lydian mode.

* "Overture 1928" by Dream Theater; the section at 1:01 begins with a Lydian tetrachord.

* "Escaping" by Kiko Loureiro the outro in particular.

* "If There Was a Time" by Harem Scarem.

* "Midnight Daydream" by Steve Morse.

* "The Dance of Fools" by Shadow Gallery

* "Stars" by Switchfoot

* "Inner Road" by Adagio the solo in particular.

* "The Battle" by Hydrogen Party

* "Accolade" by Symphony X.

* "Elation Station" by Infected Mushroom is in C Lydian.

* "Opened Once" and "Gunshot Glitter" by Jeff Buckley

* "Beyond the Boundaries" by Jimmy Cliff

* "Unravel" by Björk

* "Follow My Way" by Chris Cornell is exclusively in the Lydian mode.

* "Arcane Lifeforce Mysteria by Dimmu Borgir starts in the Lydian mode.

* "Waltz #1" by Elliott Smith.

* "Little Red Corvette" by Prince.

* "Lydian Suite" by Michael Horvit.

* "Here Comes My Girl" by Tom Petty shifts between Lydian and major.

* "Whassup?" by Will Mayo is in C Lydian. The bridge switches to D minor.

* "The One" by Elton John shifts between Lydian and major.

* "Momentum" by Vienna Teng shifts between Lydian and major.

* "Melody of You" by Sixpence None the Richer shifts between Lydian and major.

* "Cathedrals" by Jump, Little Children shifts between Lydian and major.

* "Curve" by John Petrucci is mostly in the lydian mode. Phrygian dominant mode is also used.

* "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" by The Police, the main ascending 4 note riff is 1, 2, 3, ♮4 (the ♮4 being the Lydian note)

* "Endurance of Hate", a metal band from South Wales, UK use a heavily Lydian feel riff in the intro to their live show.

* "Taking a line for a walk" by Richard Rodney Bennett.

* "War Sower" by Polish metal band Sorcerer (band) relies heavily on Lydian mode in verses, which either resolve to minor scale or to Dorian scale (which is related to Lydian). Also solo part is based on Lydian.

* "The Lazarus Heart" by Sting is an excellent example of Lydian mode and its mystical flavour. Both the main theme and the verses utilize C Lydian in a droning way.

* The theme tune for The Jetsons is written in the Lydian mode.

* "Love Like This" by Faith Evans is in F Lydian.

* "All I Need" by Radiohead is in C Lydian.

* The verses to "Tonight, Tonight" by the Smashing Pumpkins is in Lydian

* Frank Zappa made extensive use of the Lydian mode, especially during the extended guitar solos in his later works (e.g., Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar: "Hog Heaven", and Joe's Garage: "He Used To Cut The Grass", both in E Lydian.) (source: "The Frank Zappa Guitar Book", pp. 17-22 and pp. 250-267 respectively, transcribed by Steve Vai, copyright 1982 Munchkin Music, Hal Leonard Publishing Co., HL00704325).

* "Feel Good Drag" by Anberlin is in Db Lydian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydian_mode

Four Pocket Menace
Email WWW   IP Logged
rubylexicon
Senior Citizen

i am not sorry when
silence becomes
singing

Reply #89 - 04/14/09 at 15:24:24

Phrygian Mode:

* Dethklok's "Face Fisted (aka New Phrygian)"
    * Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit"
    * Björk's "Hunter"
    * The theme music from the British sci-fi series "Doctor Who"
    * Theme song from TV show "Unsolved Mysteries"
    * The Communard's "So Cold The Night"
    * Metallica's "Wherever I May Roam" (guitar solo) and "Creeping Death" (bridge)
    * Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction"
    * Iron Maiden's "Remember Tomorrow"
    * Pink Floyd's "Matilda Mother" (organ solo) and "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"
    * The closing aria of Philip Glass' opera Satyagraha
    * Fiona Apple's "Sullen Girl"
    * John Adams' "Phrygian Gates"
    * Alice in Chains's "Would?"
    * Robert Plant's "Calling to You"
    * Gordon Duncan's "The Belly Dancer"
    * Theme song from Predator the motion picture
    * Steve Vai's "For the Love of God"
    * Uli Jon Roth's "The Sails Of Charon"
    * Jamiroquai's "Deeper Underground"
    * Yasunori Mitsuda's theme music for "Magus" from the video game Chrono Trigger
    * Various music from video games "Super Metroid" and "Metroid Prime"
    * The Doors's "Not to Touch the Earth"
    * Dick Dale's "Misirlou"
    * Yngwie Malmsteen's "Heavy E Phrygian"
    * Tal Weiss' "Dangerous Spell"
    * "Sinister" - Second episode, sixth mission (Halls of the Damned) from Doom (video game)
    * Britney Spears's "If You Seek Amy"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrygian_mode

Four Pocket Menace
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print